Saturday, March 6, 2010

Puttin' My Hand in The Hand

 For the past, I don't know, 6 months or so, Psalm 37:23&24 has been a theme in my life:
 A man's steps are established by the Lord,
 and He delights in his way.
Even though he falls, he will not be overwhelmed,
 because the Lord holds his hand.
  
As the mother of a toddler, I totally identify.
No matter where we go, if we're walking, Nathan is right there beside me, or at least in very close proximity.  When we begin to cross the parking lot or walk where the ground is uneven, I grab his hand.  That way even if he does trip, he may get a skinned knee, but he's not going all the way down.  No bloody noses or bruised foreheads.  No teeth knocked out.  No major damage.  If he starts to pull away, I can (gently) yank him back.  It's also a chance to rub my fingers over his sweet baby hand or give a little squeeze to convey how much I love him.

Same with God and me.  He's got my hand.  He watches out for me, keeping me from tripping over rocky relationships.  He yanks me back when I strain ahead towards danger I can't see.   I may get my foot wet from stepping in the pothole, but I won't be sprawled out on the concrete.  And I can give His hand a little squeeze just as He can squeeze mine.  The mental picture I have of Him guiding me, protecting me and loving me never fails to bring a smile to my face and a thrill to my heart.

That is, unless I let go.  If I'm determined to wriggle "free," He'll let me.  If I sneer at Him and say, "I do it myself!" then He'll oblige.

On my own can be a very scary place.

I think I'll hang on.  

How about you? 

2 comments:

  1. Wow Debbie! You're not going to believe this! I didn't get to read your blog this weekend because I was crazy busy writing for mine (trying to build up a few in case of a crazy day). I wrote three or four and saved them for later. This morning was of course a crazy Monday, so I threw up one of those from this weekend. You're not going to believe it! You just have to go read for yourself... you're not going to beleive it. We must be going through some similar home events. I have a 9 month old that is trying desperately to walk. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm choosing to hang on...He takes me places I never dreamed of! Thanks for your words.

    ReplyDelete