Monday, March 15, 2010

No-Repeat Week

YES!  It's finally Monday!

No I'm not insane, especially as this weekend was the time change to Daylight Savings and we all seem to be feeling the effects.  Last week was a week I do not care to repeat.

Last Sunday, Clinton left for 2 days to attend the ACMI meeting in Indianapolis.  I usually try to go with him and leave the boys with my in-laws, but with it being 2 overnights we thought that would be too much for Nathan right now.  It was a good thing I didn't go.  Or, I should say, a GOD-THING I didn't go.

We've known for a few months that my father-in-law, Terry, needed open-heart surgery.  The medical staff had said would probably be scheduled for later in March, a week or two away at least.  Monday afternoon my mother-in-law, Carolyn, called me.  They wanted him to come Wednesday.  As in two days away.  Tuesday would be spent in prep with surgery first thing Wednesday morning.  She was in a near total panic trying to make arrangements, phone calls, etc.  Good thing she didn't have my boys through Tuesday as we'd planned or they wouldn't have been able to do it.  GOD-THING! 

Clinton's sister, Amy, who lives in Dallas, travels a lot with her job. As it turned out, she was in Indianapolis for a meeting that got out at 3:00 on Tuesday.  Clinton's meeting got out at noon.  He was able to pick her up from the meeting and drive her back with him.  What are the chances of that?  Not a coincidence.  A God-incidence.  GOD-THING!

Clinton and Amy arrived home shortly before 6:00.  I pulled in to Terry and Carolyn's driveway a little after 6:00 with pizza for everyone.  Rachel, the youngest sister who lives in St Louis, pulled into the driveway as I was unloading the pizza.  GOD-THING!  We were all able to spend a wonderful evening together before Dad's surgery on Wednesday.  GOD-THING!

There is a special Legg family story involving the Fruit of the Spirit that I won't share with you now, but guess what verse was part of my devotional on Wednesday morning?  You guessed it!  You're so smart!  Galatians 5:22, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."  Coincidence?  I think not!  A small reassurance that He had it all under control.  GOD-THING!

While the rest of the family was at the hospital, my job was to keep the home front running as normal as possible for Matthew and Nathan and be the point of contact to disseminate information as it became available.  I'm fairly good at talking, so this was no stretch for me.

Dad's surgery was delayed a couple of times on Wednesday.   Before leaving for Wednesday Night Family Night at church I got an update, which I was able to share with our church family -- still in surgery, going well, likely a few more hours.  After the meal as Craig, our Senior Minister, was praying, my cell phone rang.  Surgery was finished and he came through it very well!  I'm sure it was rather hilarious to watch me bent over, to try to get underneath the table to corral a loud, playful Nathan, talking as quietly as possible on my cell while everyone else was solemnly lifting prayers to The Lord.  But, as Craig finished, I was able to stand up, wave my hands around and announce the wonderful news.  Could the timing have worked out that way by chance?  No way!  GOD-THING!

Oh, and some dear friends, Gary and Mary, had a new grandson on Wednesday, so we were able to rejoice and relay that happy information as well.  Great news on a very stressful day.  GOD-THING! 

Wednesday night I collapsed into bed, missing my husband and emotionally exhausted.  My cell phone battery was also collapsing, so I plugged it in to recharge.  Little did I know what Thursday would hold.

Our dear friend Beth's dear mother, Earline, had had a procedure done on Tuesday that was apparently, um, how can I say this delicately, SCREWED UP!  She went in Thursday afternoon for emergency surgery that successfully fixed the main problem.  Hurray!  However, as a consequence of the initial screw up, she developed kidney failure, a bad infection and other complications that now have her on a ventilator.  We are praying for her and the entire family, and are grateful for cell phones, email and Facebook to keep us up to date with the latest.  

All of the house phones needed to be charged by the end of Thursday.

Friday and Saturday included much more relaying of info, keeping life as normal as possible, and picking up any pieces that needed to be picked up.  

Sunday afternoon (yesterday) Terry got to come home and we were all thrilled.  Unfortunately, Earline is still in the hospital and not getting any better yet.  Info continues to be relayed, prayers continue to be lifted, and phones continue to recharge.

We are all still a bit wrung out, but I'm sure we're not nearly as bad as Earline and her family.  But I do know (and Beth, Earline and the family know as well) that God is there with them and will see them through.  My biggest prayer right now is that a week from today, Earline will be miraculously improved and we will have many more God-things to share.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my - what a week!! It feels so good to be able to see the hand of the Lord working daily miracles in our lives- I think you are especially talented at this! I'm glad things have slowed down and are on the mend- prayers being sent for your friend:)

    ReplyDelete