Tuesday, October 7, 2008

What do you do when it rains?

It's raining today. Not a storm, just a medium rain with a couple of thunder claps on occasion. Our dog, Lucy, is scared of storms, and as such is following me around so much that I'm thinking of changing her name to "Shoelaces." Bad enough to trip over toys, Tupperware, snack foods and all the rest that Nathan drags out, but Lucy is by far the largest road hazard we have right now. It's getting old and I'm starting to get aggravated. I keep telling her, "It's okay. It's not a storm, just some rain. I'm here, I'll protect you. We are fine." And yet she looks up at me with those sweet brown eyes saying, "Protect me, Mom, it's bad out there." If only I spoke Dog... No matter what I do to reassure her, she's still afraid, and will be until the rain stops.
I am so much like Lucy. God tells me, "I'ts okay. It's not a storm. I'm here with you, I'll protect you. I have it all under control, so trust me, okay?" And even though He speaks Debbie and I understand His words, too often I find myself cowering in the corner. Like Lucy, I believe that what I see and hear is more real than the reassurance of the one who loves me. I need to "get real," and remember that He has my circumstances under control. My vision and information are limited, while His vision and information are infinite. I must no longer fear the storms. I must move out in faith and dance in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment